What makes them bad?
So now.. what makes someone a "good" Christian from a "bad" one?
Facebook can be the bearer of all evils. Pictures, wall posts and status updates. This lately has been bothering me so much, and now I'm on a blogging rage, so here I go.
I was raised in the church. Raised to believe in God, read the bible and attend on sundays. I'll admit, over the last few years living away was not always so easy to do these things. But any time I did venture home, I did attend church and hug and say hello to everyone that was there. Lately though, I feel, that being friends with "church" people has effected the way they see me. I know most have seen the pictures of me having some drinks and dancing and doing the things people sometimes do when they get drunk. But, I do not do this every night, nor every week for that matter. But people will look at those pictures and see this. Some Christians choose not to drink, their choice. I do drink, and I have lived in a country where I was legal to drink at the age of 19.
Now does my drinking in any way make me a bad person? Does it make me look like I am going down the wrong path in life? Does it make me a bad Christian?
I like to say no. I have no regrets of things I have done. I still have God in my heart and when I move I plan on finding a church with Frank where ever we end up. Me drinking doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I always was told Christians should never judge. I know we all do judge everyone, no one is perfect. But one Christian should not judge another one for what they do. They should love and treat everyone the way God loves them.
Not sure if any of it all made sense. But it is all based off of words that were said about me.. and it really hurt me.
This makes perfect sense, Sam, and you're absolutely right! Drinking and having fun with friends (without endangering others in the process of course) certainly does not make you a bad person! Nor does it make you a bad Christian!
ReplyDeleteAs far as I know Christians didn't originally forbid the consumption of alcohol anyway. The church's prohibition came in to effect much later in history, and was probably only the result of a social change in perspective. It's because people were too fixed on getting drunk, and that still is a negative trait today. But as you said, you can moderate. And with moderation, humans are allowed to let loose every once in a while.
No one should worry about what others think of them in this respect, because having fun and socializing with the help of a common beverage cannot really be a sin, and anyone who says otherwise are the same ignorant type who go around thinking that they know everything.
But regardless, 'good' and 'bad' are a matter of perspective, and people will always judge each other for this and that. But the important thing is how you feel. If you enjoy what you do, then you enjoy life! And God can forgive you for that. :)
Hey... nice blog!! as you said its a personal thing whether you drink or not.. and it doesn't make you a bad Christian! keep blogging :) (came here through 20SB)
ReplyDelete