Saturday, August 28, 2010

Health

Well. I've been waiting a week now to write this post.

It all really started 2 weeks ago when I left for work one Saturday morning. I walked out to my bus stop and looked around and noticed my vision was blurry. I really didn't think anything of it, just figured my eyes were dry or I was just tired. 

A few days later I got thirsty. Really, really thirsty. You know so thirsty nothing was quenching it. I was chugging bottle after bottle of water. I was thinking I was just craving a drink like lemonade or iced tea. 

Boy was I wrong.

Frank's sister came into town a few days later. We rented a car and I was going to be insured on it! I was a littler nervous about driving, being my first time driving in El Ehh and the face that my vision was still blurry. I manned up and dealt with it. Driving around here was fun and not as scary as I thought. I'm glad I study maps. I knew where I was at all times, even if I couldn't read the street signs. 

We ended a fun and long weekend with his sister and her friend by spending Tuesday at the beach. It was a perfect day. No marine layer and it was just the right temperature for laying out. The water was a refreshing 63ยบ and no waves to get in the way of actually cooling off. We enjoyed the day, got some good sun but had to venture home so they could catch their flight. 

As we arrived home I felt extremely lethargic. I knew the laundry needed to be done before we left for the airport. I struggled. Our laundry basket never felt so heavy. The heat of the laundry room and the sun on my skin made me feel nauseous. As they washed and dried I managed to take a very cold shower to try to cool me down. I just figured I had gotten too much sun that day. It did help a bit. I could barely stand as I washed and I ended up sitting through most of it.

Wednesday I woke up for work and felt hot and gross. For the first time in 9 months I called into work sick. How horrible I felt. I just wanted to get better for Thursday, for that was a big day. As Thursday showed up I called in again, feeling even more guilty. There was a big event happening at my work that night, and that morning I was going to style Ellen Degeneres and Laura Bush. That didn't happen.

My back hurt. I was thirsty. Unbelievably tired. I figured I was just getting ready to go through a minor period because of the new prescription. Just took some Aleve and passed out on the couch. I couldn't wait for the moment Frank got home. I felt so terrible I didn't want to be alone.

Finally that night I was in too much pain to even stay still and sleep. Frank was scared and told me he was going to take me to the ER. I am so happy he did. We parked the rental car and I somehow walked the 100 yards to the entrance. He filled out my paperwork and they got me to a nurse. She took my vitals. My heart rate - 166. They sent me to a room with a bed and took my blood. My blood sugar came back off the chart. I think it was somewhere around 600.

Diagnosis: Type 1 diabetes.

I didn't even cry. It was either the morphine or the fact that I was just so tired. But I was just happy with a diagnosis. It could have been something way worse.

I know it's a scary thing to hear. But I know it'll all be okay. My friends have been asking me all week if I'm allowed to eat sugar or if I'm on a special diet. I guess I am on a bit of a diet, manage my carbs basically. But doctor told me to eat as much fat and protein as I want. I need to gain all of my weight back.

My back hurt because my kidneys were just so full of water they couldn't function properly. I had all the signs. Neither Frank nor I .. or our families even thought that would be it.

Frank has just been the biggest help to me. Right from the start. I'm lucky to have had him there with me. He is my lifesaver. My friends and family have also been such a support. With all of their cards and flowers and even nice messages left on Facebook. It all means so much to me. Everyone I work with helped me out tremendously with getting my shifts covered and just understanding.

Thank you for all of it. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis but glad you're okay. Diabetes can be tough. Both my grandmother and my aunt have it, so my heart goes out to you. Like I said though, glad to hear you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they found out what was wrong so quickly! I hope you're back to your normal self now and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...