Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's been over two weeks since I found out I had diabetes. Everything is back in full swing and I feel great. Better than I have felt in months. Crazy how that's possible.

On top of my diabetes, I found out that I have hyperthyroidism. They think that's what triggered it. Seems to me that I had symptoms of that for years. The anxiety and nervousness. My shaky hands. Since going on new medication last week to treat the thyroid I have felt even better. The new meds have even dropped my blood sugar readings to normal, most of the time. I feel calm and at ease. It's nice.

We're hoping in a few months to get me an insulin pump. No more injecting myself four times a day. I mean it's not too big a hassle to manage, it's just hard and sometimes awkward when you are out to eat. I try to inject in the privacy of a bathroom, but the last few places we've eaten out at have had one man rooms. It's hard to get a good poke of blood on your finger when there's a lady outside banging on the door to use the toilet. I just want to shout back to her, "I'm trying to test my effing blood sugar!"

I'm not ashamed to have type one diabetes. If anyone asks me what was wrong with me I tell them. This includes my regular customers at work. I lost over 10 lbs in the course of two weeks. That's a lot of weight for a tall, already skinny gal like myself. Trying to gain it back by eating peanut butter from the jar. Supposedly my thyroid medicine will help with that as well.

It's all still about adjusting. I feel I'm doing well with it all. I can't deny or forget that I have a disease. How people do that, I don't know. But that's not me. I have to live with it. I know there will be days it won't be easy, but I'll deal with that when it comes.

Again Frank has just been so amazing. Really sets in stone that he's the man I'm supposed to be with for the rest of my life. He's been there helping me since I started feeling sick, and I know he'll be there for me until the very end. He is my rock.

2 comments:

  1. Sam! I'm so sorry you've been sick. But so happy with how you're dealing with it and getting better! You're one tough cookie. :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetie. Glad to hear that you are feeling much better. Always think positive. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...